Sunday 30 June 2013

Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens


Nicholas Nickleby tells the story of Nicholas and his family and friends. His father dies and he must now support his mother and sister, Kate. They travel to London to seek the help of his father’s brother Ralph. This does not go quite as planned because Ralph is not a nice person and only cares about money and himself. Things do not get off to a good start when they accept Ralph’s advice and help and only encounter vile people. When they surrender themselves to fate events take a turn for the better and they meet merchants and philanthropists the Cheeryble twins, Charles and Ned. They help the Nicklebys and their lives get much better. Thanks to the Cheerybles the Nicklebys don’t need to rely on Ralph and Nicholas and his sister even find themselves spouses. It’s a happy ending for most that deserve it and an unhappy one for most of those who don’t.

All the characters are well rounded and it feels as if you know them and know how they’re going to react to something before they do. It’s obvious which characters you’re supposed to like and which ones you aren’t and for the majority of them, this was exactly how I felt. I didn’t connect with any of the characters really as they were all a bit plain. Really, we needed the villains to mix things up a bit. I found myself taking against Mrs Nickleby. She is very self-centred and always needs to be the centre of attention, much like Mrs Bennet in Pride & Prejudice. There are a lot of minor characters and may be there mostly to break up the tension and provide some comic relief. None of them stood out for me, they were all just a bit boring.

The plot of the book dragged a bit for me. We didn’t really need to know the fates of all the minor characters. I do enjoy Dickens’ storytelling but, not knowing an awful lot of history, can’t tell which bits are social commentary and which are pure fiction. This is Dickens’ first novel where romance features heavily and it’s not easy to do and avoid offending people. It’s a sensitive subject, especially back then. The end result feels a bit Shakespearean to me; all the characters end up getting married and you can tell who Nicholas and Kate are going to marry. At some points I found it a bit confusing, when Ralph was conspiring against people but I think as long as you got the gist it was okay. It was a nice story and leaves you with a bittersweet feeling.

I love a bit of Victorian England which is possibly why I like Dickens so much. His descriptions of places let you picture them and feel the atmosphere. I certainly wouldn’t want to live there but spending a couple of weeks there via a book is about right. London life hasn’t really changed in two hundred years; it’s still chaotic and on top of itself but somehow gets by. Dickens London is smaller and more manageable so is slightly easier to get your head around where everything is. The centre of London is overcrowded with whole families living in a couple of rooms. When Nicholas moves to the outskirts he gets to live in a nice cottage, which I like.

I didn’t like this book as much as the other two I’ve read but still enjoyed it. I think some of it may be due to Dickens trying a new genre and working out how to tell the story as he wants to. For me the ending made up for parts of the book that were difficult to get through. Although you’re supposed to route for Nicholas, I found myself wanting things to turn out for Kate Nickleby. She has to put up with so much from her mother, her uncle and men wanting to court her that she has no interest in. When Frank appeared I was hopeful for her future. I found myself drawn into their lives and wanting the best for them. Even if Mrs Nickleby annoyed the hell out of me.

Overall rating 4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment