Friday 19 April 2013

The Secret of Crickley Hall by James Herbert


The Secret of Crickley Hall follows the Caleigh family as they move into Crickley Hall for a couple of months while Gabe Caleigh works in the area. The family have taken the decision to move away for a couple of months at this particular time as it the first anniversary of a family tragedy. Gabe scouted out the area in the summer and it looked like a beautiful setting. Come autumn everything is different and the constant rain and wind doesn’t help matters. The family dog refuses to enter the house and in the night they hear strange noises that have no other explanation than paranormal activity. Understandably, the family are a bit freaked out and so try to discover what on earth is going on. They may come to regret that decision.

This book is your traditional horror book. It has the haunted house in a remote location, the family who are emotionally vulnerable, rumours from past occupants and locals and wild storms that cause power to fail and phone lines to come down at inconvenient times. While all these clichés should be off putting, and I must admit I did roll my eyes a couple of times, it doesn’t detract too much from the story. It is still scary and when you think you know what’s happening you don’t always. I think horror must be a difficult genre to write because there are so many clichés but in order to write a horror story you need to use at least some of them.

It started off a bit flowery and I was worried there would be lots of unnecessarily over the top descriptions but there weren’t. The descriptions aren’t too long so they don’t distract you from the plot which allows the story to carry you along with it. I like a book that draws you in doesn’t make you think too hard because you’re too busy reading on in order to find out what happens. James Herbert is a bestseller for a reason. He tells a good story that you can escape in to.

The only other horror novels I’ve read have been by Stephen King and I don’t always find them easy to get in to. With James Herbert I found that happened easily and would read more of his books. It has also made me interested in reading more horror in general. The thought of it being a genre full of people falling in love with vampires and werewolves had sort of put me off. Crickley Hall is a long book and towards the end there is a bit too much exposition all at once but the length felt right for all the twists and sub-plots that there were.

Crickley Hall is one of James Herbert’s recent books and some reviews I have read said his older stuff is better. I will have to look in to this. I was drawn to this one because of the title and I do like an old house. Horror is not my favourite genre but I don’t think it’s given enough credit because it has had the piss taken out of it so much. Also the fact that there are so many scary films around, some people may think that a scary book is just never going to be as scary as a film. To a certain extent this is true as with a book if you get scared you can just flip to the back and see how it turns out. But books can be scary too and especially when the author leaves a chapter on a cliffhanger and then goes and focuses on another character it keeps the suspense going.

Overall rating 4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment